Thursday, December 2, 2010

30 day challenge - Day 5

Day 5 - A picture of somewhere you've been to

Finally an easy one. I may surprise some people who still organise the wold by stereotypes by putting aside playful rivalries and Britishness by posting a picture of what I am unashamed to say is my most favourite city in the world, Berlin. I know I said I try to avoid having favourites but it's hard not to. I don't have a bad thing to say about the city or it's people.

This is perhaps one of the most famous landmarks in the world, The Brandenburg Gate.



I took it when I last visited. The day after I took this photo I ran through the Brandenburg Gate at the end of the Berlin Marathon. It was my first marathon and I was very proud to be there for the marathon that was celebrating the 20th anniversary of the end of the Berlin wall. A terrible thing from a sadder Berlin that I'm glad is resigned to the past.

Some sections of the wall are still standing as a monument. They're quite amazing to see covered in the murals painted to inspire thoughts of freedom and unity and to remind us of the pain it caused, but what always seems to amaze folks most the first time they see it is just how thin and small it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment